Other Programs & Certificates

African American and African Diaspora Studies

Students may declare an interdepartmental major in English and African American and African Diaspora Studies. The Department of African American and African Diaspora Studies (AAAD) examines the experiences of people of African descent in the United States and throughout the world. The interdepartmental major is 40 credit hours with a minimum of 6 courses in each discipline. Consult with an English advisor to declare the interdepartmental advisor. To declare a 15 credit hour AAAD minor, schedule a meeting with the AAAD advisor, Memorial 25, (812) 855-6270.

Kelley School of Business Minors

Students earning a bachelor’s degree in the College of Arts and Sciences may earn minors from the Kelley School of Business. Requirements for each of the 21 credit hour minors are posted in the College Bulletin.

NOTE: The College of Arts and Sciences limits the number of credit hours taken outside the College that will count toward the degree to 20 credit hours.

Students can add a Business minor by logging into the College's secure site.

The Minor in Business, of course, does not preclude students from studying as electives any business courses open to non-business majors for which they have completed the necessary prerequisites. Students who wish to supplement their major in the College with a small number of business courses in a single business area such as accounting, finance, marketing, or other specialized study should select business courses in consultation with a School of Business advisor in Business 454, (812) 855-2614.

Certificate in Secondary English Education

English majors who want to teach at the secondary level can receive certification through the School of Education. While the English department can provide some basic information on this option, to get the whole picture of what Education courses and licensing tests are required for certification, students should call (812) 856-8510 and make an appointment with an Education advisor. Once you have all the necessary information on certification, your undergraduate advisor in English will help you choose courses that work for both your degree and your certification.

Certificate in Journalism

Students in good standing at Indiana University who do not plan to major in journalism are eligible to apply to the certificate program in journalism through The Media School. For further information, consult an academic advisor in The Media School.