Students who have earned a B.A. or equivalent degree may apply for admission to the M.F.A. program in fiction or in poetry.
Applicants to the M.F.A. in Creative Writing are required to submit the following online (except transcripts). All materials must be received by January 2 or the first business day following the holiday.
- personal statement (500 word limit)
- statement about teaching creative writing (500 word limit)
- three letters of recommendation from those who know you and your potential for graduate school (uploaded online or submitted through Interfolio. If sent through Interfolio, send to email@example.com).
- one set of official transcripts sent directly from all attended institutions to the Creative Writing Program (address below). Place transcript requests well in advance of the deadline since many institutions are closed at the end of the year.
- one set of official GRE General Test scores submitted online and sent directly from ETS (School Code: 1324, Dept. Code: 2503). Request GRE scores from ETS at least 2 weeks prior to the deadline to ensure that they arrive on time.
- a portfolio with 5,000 to 7,500 words (25 - 30 pages) in fiction; 12-15 pages of poetry.
- TOEFL Scores (for foreign applicants only)
SCHOOL CODE: 1324 DEPT. CODE: 2503 (for GRE scores and Transcripts)
All materials with the exception of the transcripts must be uploaded to the online application. Transcripts must be mailed directly from the attended institution to:
Creative Writing Admissions
150 S. Woodlawn Ave.
Lindley Hall 215
Bloomington, IN 47405