Applicants to the doctoral program are required to submit all primary application materials online. These include:
- IU Graduate School Application. Indiana University has partnered with Liaison International to create the Indiana University Graduate CAS, which launched September 3rd! If you are applying for Fall 2020 term and beyond please apply.
- Personal / professional statement of no more than 1,000 words of the applicant's academic goals and areas of specific interest (please make sure to note field specialty--e.g. medieval, 18th century, literary theory, comparative ethnic studies)
- three letters of recommendation
- 15-20 pp writing sample
- the application fee
Hard copies of secondary application materials, including:
- Graduate Record Examination scores (as specified above). Please use Institution code 1324 and Department code 2501 OR 2504. This will generate both electronic and paper submissions.
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate study to date. Only copies that are submitted directly from the institution (by mail or secure e-transcript) OR submitted in hard copy in sealed institutional envelopes within a packet from the applicant are considered official.
Should be emailed by secure service directly from the institution to Bev Hankins (firstname.lastname@example.org) OR mailed directly to the department, to the attention of:
IU English Department
150 S. Woodlawn Ave.
Lindley Hall 215
Bloomington, IN 47405-7103
International students, please note: International applicants must also meet International Admissions requirements. For those whose native language is not English, TOEFL exam scores are required. Please also note that there is a university deadline of December 1 for International applications.
Any questions about the departmental application process may be directed to the Graduate Administrative Assistant, Bev Hankins (email@example.com). Questions about the graduate application itself should be directed to the Help Center at Liaison.
Liaison Contact Information:
Phone # (617) 729-2866
Live Chat reps are available via the Help Center